Hey KitSplitters, check out our favorite things on the internet this month plus a list of amazing events you don’t want to miss! Is there an event coming up that we should know about? How about an article we have to read? Share them with us on Twitter/Facebook or email Contact@kitsplit.com!
What We’re Watching:
‘Ladies First’: Saudi Arabia’s First Female Candidates by the New York Times is a powerful short documentary that takes us inside Saudi Arabia and introduces us to three proud and dynamic women, each determined to test the bounds of her society in different ways.
We can’t get enough of The Vagina Dispatches on The Guardian. This playful, thoughtful series explores what’s down there through building a giant vulva, talking to a vagina, a labiaplasty surgeon, a trans woman, and more. Kitsplitter Mae Ryan is one of the producers! This episode Mona and Mae speak to a doctor who thinks periods are unnatural, a former Olympian, a menstrual blood artist and a formerly incarcerated woman to find out if we should stop having periods.
Leading up to the 2016 Presidential race, We The Voters will promote a call to action that encourages voters to make informed choices. This will be the ultimate resource for understanding the stakes of this election – and those to come. The project will incorporate real characters, dynamic storylines and celebrity influencers into films, apps and games that demystify how the government works and motivate Americans to seize the power of their vote. KitSplitter Veena Rao one of the films!
Be Water – Bobby Brown
Be Water is a short film featuring Bobby Brown, Banks Gilberti, Peter Brown and Aaron Blunck. Documenting their travels while they chase storms throughout the 2015-16 winter season. The piece was shot on location at Cooke City, Montana//Whistler, British Columbia//Jackson Hole, Wyoming
What We’re Reading:
Vanity Fair: Why the Amanda Knox Netflix Documentary Is More Illuminating than a Decade’s Worth of Trial Coverage A thoughtful piece on the power of docs.
- “William Eggleston, the Pioneer of Color Photography” by Augusten Burroughs at The New York Times. This made us really want to have a drink with Eggleston.
- Playstation VR Review by Alex Cranz on Gizmodo. We can’t want to try this VR system!
- New Research Study: 7 Stats From 100,000 Crowdfunding Campaignson Indiegogo. Must-read if you’re considering a crowdfunding campaign for your next project.
What We’re Doing:
- 13 Cats 10/21 – 11/3 at BAMcinématek – Spend your Halloween with some of cinema’s freakiest felines.
- Produced by: New York on 10/29 at Time Warner Center, NYC – A day of industry insights, networking and mentoring you won’t find anywhere else–sponsored by KitSplit!
- Queer 90’s, now through 10/30 at Metrograph – “Queer 90s” is a snapshot of the years that acted as a bridge from Stonewall to wedding announcements in the paper of record.
- Silver Sound Showdown on 1/18 at Brooklyn Bowl – Lead by KitSplit members Silver Sound, this is NYC’s first, biggest, and most awesome Music Video festival & competition! Got a music video or a band? Submissions are open till Nov. 8.